Daniel L. Pennsylvania

Changing the future of illegal immigration

America needs to pass measures to solve illegal immigration.

Illegal immigration from Central America has become a very controversial issue in the 21st century. According to the Pew Research Center, there are currently 11 million illegal immigrants currently living inside the US. It’s time for you, as president, to take action. During your presidency, you must push forward measures to increase border security, and to stop the cause of illegal immigration.

In order to solve this crisis, as president, you must push forward several possibly controversial measures. First, we have to secure our southern border, not necessarily with a ‘wall’, but in a way that reduces the constant stream of illegal immigrants into the US. This action should come first, as it shows the American people and the world that your administration is serious about solving this problem.

Next, you must give amnesty to all illegal immigrants inside our borders. Sure, they are here illegally, but a mass deportation of illegal immigrants would be costly, logistically a mess, and would greatly expensive. According to the Wall Street Journal, mass deportation “would require at least $400 billion in new federal spending and reduce U.S. GDP by about $1 trillion.” By conducting mass deportation, not only would the US tear families already living and working in the US apart, they would cost taxpayers millions of dollars.

Finally, America must improve the standard of living in Central America. As stated by The United States Agency for International Development Acting Assistant Administrator for Latin America and the Caribbean Elizabeth Hogan on the causes of low quality of life in Central America: “increased gang violence and international crime, as well as deep-seated issues of social and economic inequity, and lack of economic opportunity for vast segments of society.” Many Central Americans flee their own countries due to gang violence and low quality of life. According to the Nations Online Project, Gross National Income per capita in Central America is among the lowest in the Western Hemisphere. By decreasing gang and drug related crime in Central America, and generally improving the quality of life there, we would limit the motivation to escape to the United States. This program will take several years, and will take some thinking to execute properly, but if done right, it can see a new future for Central America.

In conclusion, immigration is an extremely important issue you must address as president. The actions your administration takes can affect Central America for years to come. In order to solve this crisis, America must increase its border security, grant amnesty to all illegal immigrants currently living in the US, and improve life in Central America. Doing so would change the lives of millions of people for the better.

Daniel L.

Lower Dauphin High School

Mrs. Morgret's 9th grade Honors English students

Periods 4 and 5/6 from Lower Dauphin High School