Claire C. New Jersey

Free Education

There are people across the world who can't afford the education they need. But what if everyone can have that chance? Everyone deserves to learn in order to get jobs.

Most kids wake up at 7:00 am and think “No, I don't wanna go to school…” But we don't think about the kids who are living on the streets and can't afford education, or the adults who need jobs to support their family, but can't afford schooling to get the jobs they need. Dear Future President, This isn't fair. Everyone should be able to go to school. Education should be free.

If education were free, we would have so many more people working, graduating college, and having good jobs. According to www.huffingtonpost.com, 14.5% of the U.S. population is poor. By making education free, we can send those people to school for the education they need. We can make sure they get good jobs. We can help everyone have an equal chance at getting education.

Www.migrationpolicy.org states that 13.3% of the U.S. population are immigrants. Most of those people don't have jobs. If education is free, that 13.3% will have a good life in the U.S. and will get jobs and education. Also, only 62% of people can afford to go to college states www.reference.com. By making college free, more people will want to go and have the opportunities that college offers.

But as some people say “But how can we get the supplies? Where will we teach? When? In what building?” Well, if education is free, people living in not so nice areas can still go to it. That means that there might not be good places to have school. So, we need to find a place. What about outside? What about building a little house with chalkboards? We can get the supplies by having 1 person donate 1 thing and soon we will have a lot. We will teach people in poverty from about 9am-3pm. And in other towns without poverty, we can learn in a regular school building.

There are so many people without education and jobs. Like Nelson Mandela said, “Education is the most powerful weapon, which you can use to change the world.” This is important because education is important, we might not think it’s amazing but some people don't have the chance to learn. If education were free, everyone can have a chance at being the best they can and succeeding.

Brielle Elementary

Eighth Grade Citizens

The students in the eighth grade who wished to post their letters are featured here. Students worked for several weeks in both Social Studies and Language Arts classes, crafting their arguments. They participated in Penpal Schools Decision 2016 as well as Media Literacy Week.