Mackenzie New Jersey

Sexual equality

Sexual equality

Mackenzie Fuller

West Milford Twp. High school

67 Highlander Drive

West Milford, NJ 07480

November 3 2016

Future President at the White House

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue

Washington, DC 20500

Hello, I am a student at my local high school and it is a pleasure to be writing this letter to you. The points I am going to be making about this controversial topic of gay/lesbian rights. This topic really gets to me and I support it strongly. Everyone is equal, no matter what race, religion, culture, or sexual orientation. Love is love, who you fall in love with is your choice and your right. Being gay isn’t a crime and you shouldn’t have to hide it.

This past summer, all 54 states have legalized gay marriage. Although we have come unbelievably far in the journey to gay/lesbian rights, it was not always like it is now. It used to be a serious crime to be gay! It went against the church and beliefs of god.While reading http://www.infoplease.com/world/countries/international-policies-same-sex-marriage.html it was said to be unconstitutional, for many years, until in 2003, the first state in history legalizes gay marriage, vermont. Civil unions were allowed in some states but it was valued as less of a marriage. Gays and lessbians have always beeen treated badly and very unfairly. Hiding who you are can damage a person beyond belief.

Some states went as far as to try and ban gay marriage. People who are very religious take offence to homosexual people because god doesn’t support it. Honestly people need to appreciate one another no matter what. No one is asking for special treatment, just the treatment of every other person. Many cases of constitutional or unconstitutional gay rights have been in court, yet until this summer cases have been denied the right to marriage. We need to inform all people that being gay or being different doesn't effect your equality.

People feel ashamed of who they are and who they love, and that is not okay. Many people in this country are hiding behind their true self, afraid to show themselves. A world where someone would rather die than be who they are is a world that needs improvement, no matter how far we have come. Hatred is like a deadly disease that affects everyone because of the negativity. Being gay should not be strange or different, it should just be accepted. People use the word fag or gay in a degrading/insulting way, and that to me is unacceptable.

I understand that everyone has different beliefs, and that is a big part of what makes this country so diverse. Opinions are valued no matter what perspective you come from. Some people think that being gay or lesbian is wrong. It is different and hard to understand for some people but hopefully with new rights/laws in place, acceptance will follow. No belief is wrong, as long as you keep it respectful. Thinking about it from a gay person's perspective, obviously they support it. Then there are people like me, who are not gay/lesbian, yet support the idea of it 100%.

In conclusion being gay/lesbian isn’t something to run away from. People need to embrace their inner self and be who they are. People might hate or be unsupportive but that doesn’t mean you have to hide. There are millions of supporters for the whole LGBT community. We have come such as long way since being gay was a crime, to today when every state in America has legalized gay/lesbian marriage! So in the future I hope you help as many people to support everybody, no matter what sexual orientation you choose. People are people and love is love.