Haley B. Ohio

Are middle-class citizens overlooked?

Colleges do not provide enough help financially for middle-class citizens.

I am a straight A student but I fear that I will not be able to go to the university that I want to go to, one that will give me the best education I can experience.You might think, “why is this”? I have a single mom who struggles just to pay all of our bills. But the main reason is just like 66% of our country’s population, I am middle class. I know that if I go to a university that will provide me with the education I want, I will be in debt most of my life. Colleges should provide better financial aids for middle class students resulting in more people getting the education they deserve.

Upper class students, well let’s just say they do not really have to stress too much about their tuition. Lower class students attending or wanting to attend college get for the most part good financial aid. But for some reason middle class always gets overlooked. We are not getting enough financial aid because we are “making it by”. But is that really ok? Majority of middle class students either do not attend college or drop out. 70% of Americans study at a four-year college, but less than ⅔ graduate.

Some say that it is only fair to give most financial aid to lower class. Which I think yes, that is great but why doesn’t middle class get the help they need too? I do not think it should matter if you are just lower class to get the most help financially. I believe that middle and lower class students should get the same opportunities if they have the same situations. What I mean by this is that if the students wanting to attend college in lower and middle class are struggling financially but have and have had great to spectacular grades their whole life should get the most financial aid. This should lead to everyone getting equal opportunities no matter what their situations are.

As I said before my mom is a single mom. She has attended many colleges to get the best education and job she could, so that she could raise me. But she has been in debt and worrying about it for as long as I can remember. I have seen her stress and cry about something that I feel you should not have to do that towards. If people want to further their education and skills they should not have to go through all of this.

Future president, it is up to you to give these kids the future everyone deserves. Help the middle class by providing the financial aids they need to get their best education. If you don't do this, do you think we will have a thriving economy? Or will there be more poverty? So future president, please think about this, it's your choice to help more than half of our country get educated and have jobs.

Haley B.

Brookville Schools

Brookville 8th Grade Students

8th grade students at Brookville Intermediate School have been studying issues that are important to them. They are posting their letters to the next president in order to have a voice in the upcoming election.