Sam G. New Mexico

Gun Control in the United States

The restrictions and banning of guns in the United States is not only unconstitutional, it is unsafe.

My name is Sam, and I am a student in high school in Albuquerque, New Mexico. In my future, I plan on going to college and studying a quantum mechanics. Aside from school, I am very involved in extracurricular activities. I am part of the school basketball team, have been part of student council, student in government, and volunteer very often, whether at the local food bank or the library.  I am very interested in politics, and the topic I am most concerned about is gun control. This topic concerns me because the new gun control laws being made only limit the rights of the law abiding citizens and make crime easier for people who disobey the laws anyways.  

In the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution, Americans are guaranteed a right to own and bear arms to not only protect ourselves against another person who is trying to harm us, but also to keep The United States a free state. The only thing keeping the government from taking complete control over all of its citizens is the knowledge that if they do, the people of the United States will revolt with guns. However, if we remove guns from every citizen, good or bad, then it renders the people almost powerless to the government. Guns are also useful for citizens to have because it allows people to defend themselves without depending on the police, because it takes minutes or sometimes up to hours for the police to respond to calls, while a gun will end crime within seconds. According to www.tandfonline.com, gun control, between 1980 and 2009, assault weapons bans did not significantly affect murder rates at the state level.