Steven Wisconsin

Gun control

Leave gun control how it is

Dear Mr.President,

I believe that we should leave gun restrictions how they are. The Second Amendment of the US Constitution reads, "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." 50% of the population are for it, explaining that having a gun provides them some protection. Some people say that the police are one call away, but why are we allowed fire extinguisher and the Fire Department is only one call away. We should be allowed to have a gun just in case we need it if we can’t reach the phone. “Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) final report on death statistics for 2013 shows there were 35,369 deaths from motor vehicle accidents versus 505 deaths from the accidental discharge of firearms. . . . Americans are 70 times more likely to die in a vehicle accident than by the accidental discharge of a firearm.” Gun ownership is an American tradition older than the country itself and is protected by the Second Amendment; more gun control laws would restrict the right to bear arms.