Jack P. Connecticut

Social Security: A Necessity to Improving the Economy and the Well-being of the American People

This letter highlights the need for our future president to eradicate any forms of abuse, fraud, and wasted money in the Social Security system.

Jack Phelps

10-26-16

Social Security: A Necessity to Improving the Economy and Well-being of the American People

My name is Jack Phelps, and I am a student at Staples High School in Westport, Connecticut. First and foremost, I would like to congratulate you on your nomination, and am looking forward to the Presidential Race as it comes down to the wire. There are various important issue that have been heavily discussed during this election year, but I am most intrigued by both candidate’s views on Social Security, and how it could impact the lives of millions of Americans. While both you and your opponent are trying to advance the financial state of our nation by making revisions to social security, it is evident that you share different views on the subject. I believe that we need to decrease the amount of fraud and wasted money associated with this entitlement in order to improve the economy and overall well-being of the American people.

With thousands of deceased people receiving Social Security and countless others lying about disabilities, it is abundantly clear that fraud and wasted money in this system runs rampant. This is incredibly detrimental to the prosperity of the American people and economy. Overall, the abuse seen in this entitlement is highlighted by ontheissues.org when it states, “Between 2005 and 2009, it is estimated that $25 billion were eaten up in fraudulent Social Security Disability Insurance filings.” This exposes the flaws in the system, as the government is spending a great deal on people who should not qualify for this entitlement, as opposed to others who are in need of it. Moreover, the finances of the American people are being jeopardized with unnecessary tax dollars going to those who are committing fraud. Thus, negatively impacting the well-being of the population, and financial state of our country.

Mrs. Clinton, as you stated in the debates, you were brought up in a middle-class family. I know you recognize the importance of hard work and believe that there should be tax cuts for the middle class. One way to achieve this is by decreasing the fraud and wasted money associated with Social Security. In doing this, you will be able to conduct your plan of increasing the number of people who receive this entitlement. Mr. Trump, while you state the need to eradicate fraud and wasted money from Social Security, you do not agree with Hillary’s view on expanding it. Although you are an incredibly successful businessman, you did experience some financial troubles in the early 1990s. Are you able to empathize with those who are financially unstable and may need access to this entitlement? While you are generally accepting of benefit programs, would you be further motivated to increase the number of people who receive Social Security? I feel that the past experiences of both candidates should encourage the reduction of wasted money in this program, which will enable Mrs. Clinton to enforce her beliefs of expanding the number of those who receive it. This will reduce the amount of taxes Americans need to pay, while also improving the financial state of those who are not as fortunate. Overall, improving the economy and financial state of the American people.

In summary, Social Security is an incredible benefit, as those who receive it are able to live a more stable life. With that said, the fraud and wasted money in this entitlement leads to heavy taxation of the American people, and a loss of government money. Thus, decreasing our nation’s economic growth, and negatively impacting the financial well-being of millions. That is why it is vital to find ways to prevent abuse in this system, while continuing to expand the number of those who receive it.      

Staples High School

"HUSH"-ed NO MORE!

Mr. Heaphy's students speak out on the issues that will be important to them as new voters in the next election!