Raina J. Connecticut

Animal Cruelty and Captivity

More than one million animals die due to animal cruelty each year. This needs to stop.

I would like to voice my opinion on animal captivity. It has not arisen much concern over the years. Though our main interactions are with humans, we often forget animals have feelings and emotions too. We have pushed the extent to which species are in the verge of extinction due to degree of damage caused by humans. 2.7 million animals are euthanized each year. Animals should not be used as a sport for hunting, neither are they a science experiment to conduct. We often take animals for advantage and often think of them as emotionless objects.

Lions are meant to roar fearlessly in the open wild, not held captive surrounded by metal bars. Majestic whales are supposed to use their massive body to propel themselves in the gaping oceans, not cramped in a swimming pool deprived of necessary survival skills. We need to make a change and we need to make it now. If humans have the right of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, then why not animals?

As a young kid, I found elephants one of the most awe-inspiring mammals of all. Their massive size and gracefulness created admiration and a high regard for them. Now, as I have grown older, I have become more aware of the harshness of the world. Seeing them become one of the most hunted animals on Earth, made me concerned and I had to do something about it. I am writing this letter to you hoping that you will enforce laws, and take action.

I also wanted to bring attention to animal testing. Over 100 million animals die of animal testing each year! This is not only inhumane and morally wrong, but we are also setting a faulty example for future generations showing that it is okay for animals to be treated in such manner. Animals are not science experiments, and neither should they be part of one. 

A vast majority of people are oblivious to the fact that the regulations that have been made regarding this issue because it is so recurrent. "It is unfortunate that many people who witness or hear about acts of animal cruelty are unaware that legal action can be taken to help stop the problem," says Dr. Larry Hawk, ASPCA President and CEO. "Education and activism are the keys to solving this battle." Shelters, housing, and foundations, are offered by people who care. 7.6 million animals are saved by rescue foundations nationwide. This number can be even bigger. 

As President, you have the ability to enforce laws and create more severe punishments to those who disobey the rules and commit heinous crimes. Funding sanctuaries to transport animals into safer, healthier environments is just one out of many other solutions. Such as banning circuses who use cruel methods for benefits of money, fame, and attention of the audience. 

Remember, animals are very similar to humans, as they feel pain and suffer too. For those creatures who lack a voice, it is up for us to speak for them, because if we don't, then who will?   

President, please make an effort to show people to treat animals with respect, as we treat humans.

Thank you.  

Greenwich High School

English 113

English 113