Amari M. New Mexico

LGBT Rights

Dear Future President...

My name is Amari, and I'm from Albuquerque, New Mexico. I think that the legalization of same-sex marriage was so great! This is so important to me because, now my mom can be happy. I mean who wouldn't want two moms anyway? On June 26, 2015, I remember my mom calling me and she was so filled with joy, that she was crying. "Get your things together" She exclaimed, " Your mom and I are finally gonna be able to get married!" I remember it like it was yesterday. There was nothing but good vibes, all around my home. But now the rights of the LGBT community around the U.S are starting to concern me.

The gay rights movement isn't anything new. In fact Its been around for nearly 56 years! Starting in 1960 The LGBT community has been fighting for equal rights, constantly being antagonized by any, and everyone. For example, in Stonewall, New York at approximately three in the morning police, officers began raiding local gay bars, but the lesbian and gay patrons fought back. During this time it was illegal to be homosexual in any state, but Illinois. But between 1969 And 1974 the number of LGBT organizations increased. Going from fewer than 50 to well over a thousand. On June 26, 2015 the legalization of gay marriage was made. But a few weeks a former clerk in Kentucky was denying homosexual couples their license to marry. Stating that it goes against her religion. This is where the problem sparks, imagine if the other clerks decide that it goes against their religion, or that it was just wrong so they stop giving homosexuals they license to marry.

Thank you for taking the time out to read my letter! I hope to see some changes here soon. I look forward to seeing how you do with our nation.

Amari M.