Grace North Carolina

Gay and Lesbian Rights

The LGBTQ community has been mistreated for a long time and there needs to be something done about it. People are ending their lives because they can't take the hate anymore. It needs to stop.

First of all congratulations on winning the 2016 election! I know you will be able to do well. Second, I am writing to you about the different issues concerning the LGBTQ community. There are people in the world who are victims of bullying and hate crimes, which makes me sad because they are normal people like you and me. Four of my aunts belong to this community and I love them very much. I don’t see how people view it any different from a man loving a woman.  It should not matter if a woman and a woman or man and a man love each other. I am sure you would agree. They are considered to be different and I feel like that is wrong.

According to www.speakforthem.org  Suicide is the leading cause of death among Gay and Lesbian youth nationally.  It has been conservatively estimated that 1,500 Gay and Lesbian youth commit suicide every year.  30% of Gay youth attempt suicide near the age of 15 and the rate for transgender suicide is even higher at 41%.

I am sure you are aware of how big of an issue this is and I want to help do something about it. Genuinely, good people are ending their lives. They could be the next Taylor Swift or win the Nobel peace prize.  Human lives are precious, and you can do great things with them, but if someone is making you feel bad about who you are, it is hard to go on and face them every day. I have an idea about how to help.

I believe there should be a national campaign to get others to be more accepting and support the cause of tolerance toward the LGBTQ youth community.  There is already one going on called the Human Rights Campaign, which has 1.5 million supporters worldwide.  As President, you could encourage the citizens of this great country to look at the way we treat others.  Your leadership on this important issue will be invaluable.  On the website www.rahulspeaks.com, a blog written by Raul Singh, he talks about the reasons people hate the LGBTQ community. Mr. Singh says that some people think they have an illness that makes them this way.  Other people say that they are bad people and that they do bad things. None of this has ever been proven and it isn’t logical. It is wrong and we need to do something about this for the good of our country and humanity. 

Thank you for taking the time to read my letter, Madam or Mr. president.

-Grace

Citations -

Covington, Lisa H. “SPEAK: Suicide Prevention Education Awareness for Kids.” SPEAK: Suicide Prevention Education Awareness for Kids, http://www.speakforthem.org/facts.html.

By Hurting Others, You Are Hurting Yourself!, Rahul. "A Conscious Life." A Conscious Life. N.p., 25 Apr. 2011. Web. 23 Sept. 2016.

Campaign, Human Rights. "About Us | Human Rights Campaign." Human Rights Campaign. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Oct. 2016.

Weddington Middle

Fourth Period Fleck

L2NP