Seth B. Michigan

Educational Funding

Argument for why education should receive more attention and funding.

Dear Madam/Mr. President,

The government spends billions of dollars each year on a variety of programs. While all of these programs have a need for these funds, there is one area in particular that is not getting the amount of funds needed to succeed in its very important and nationwide mission. More funds need to be administered towards education in order to improve the public school experience.

The first area of the spending is students. As a student, I have seen the effects of a lack of funding first hand. A large part of student success is the availability of information and opportunities. In our world today, this is provided through technology. The amount of technology provided for students to learn is directly proportional to the success of the students. According to US News, $68 million are spent by our government on education in one year. This may seem like a prodigious amount, but if you consider the fact that there are 50.4 million students enrolled in public schools, 3.1 million full time teachers, and numerous amounts of substitute teachers, administrators, and other district employees, the funding issue really comes into view. After paying the salaries of the employees, which by the way is less than it should be, little money is left for students. This lack of funding results in less opportunities for students.

Continuing on this issue, the funding issue comes from the priorities of the government. I recognize the fact that the funds need to come from somewhere. This may seem like a difficult task, but it all comes down to priorities. For example, the Nevada State Legislature recently set aside $750 million to build a football field. Our priorities are in the wrong area if that much money can be put into entertainment, while there are schools across America who don’t have the money to give their students the best opportunity for success. More money should be granted towards schools in order to improve student success.

Another area affected by a lack of funding in schools is teachers. Teachers have one of the most difficult and important jobs in America, yet they don’t get the respect or salary of someone who is that important. Athletes make millions of dollars each year, but the people who educate the country’s youth barely get enough to support a family. Teachers deserve more respect and a salary that reflects their importance. Again, this issue is yet another result of a lack of funding. More funding for schools will result in a more just salary for teachers.

In conclusion, it is evident that a larger focus needs to be had on education. Education should be a priority of our government, and more money should be granted toward schools.

Seth B.

Clarkston High School

US News. U.S.News & World Report. Web. 30 Oct. 2016. <http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/data-mine/2016/01/14/federal-education-funding-where-does-the-money-go>.

"Back to School by the Numbers." CNN. Cable News Network. Web. 30 Oct. 2016. <http://schoolsofthought.blogs.cnn.com/2012/09/04/back-to-school-by-the-numbers/>.

Associated Press | on October 17, 2016. "Nevada Clears Way for Las Vegas Football Stadium." SFGate. Web. 30 Oct. 2016. <http://m.sfgate.com/raiders/article/Nevada-clears-way-for-Las-Vegas-football-stadium-9979282.php>.

Eisele ELA 10 Honors 3rd Hour

3rd Hour