Rachael H. Washington

Preserving Our Natural Ecosystems

Global warming and energy use are incredibly important and pressing issues that must be addressed, but there is more to the problem of protecting natural ecosystems.

Dear Ms. Clinton,

A seemingly often overlooked part of our country's health would be our forest land. Human development, mining operations, pollution, global warming, and a lack of understanding all contribute to the destruction of our delicate forest ecosystems that we need to survive. People often do not understand how their actions may be affecting the environment of the United States and why it is important to be aware. Our forests purify our water, help keep air clean, and support abundant native wildlife. Every piece of the forest is necessary for its health, from the soil composition to the  bees pollinating the fields to the top predators like wolves who keep herbivore populations under control.  I am encouraged by your plans to help provide willing ranchers, farmers, etc. with the resources they need to help maintain practices of conservation, but what are your plans to help educate those who are not attempting conservation? How will you help foster a relationship of understanding? For instance, after it was realized that wolves are a necessary part of their native forest ecosystems and reintroduction took place, many ranchers grew angry. They felt that their livestock was in great danger and they wished to see the wolves banished, like they had been once before. Because of this, many ranchers, especially those in Wyoming and Montana near Yellowstone, took deadly action against the wolves, and this is still happening today. How would you help Americans who feel their livelihoods may be threatened, and still protect native American ecosystems? With a population more educated about conservation options, more will be able to benefit from your plans to create easier access to conservation resources. 

Rachael