trevor gilman Michigan

letter to president

Bullying in and out of schools

Trevor Gilman

Mr.Eisele

4th hour

10/30/16

Dear Mr. President, did you know that over 3.2 million students are victims of bullying each year? That is an astonishing amount of innocent children getting to feel depressed and insecure at such a young age. our school Systems need to really crack down on bullying during and after school hours. The three most common and effective tactics of bullying used are cyberbullying, physical bullying, and verbal bullying.

One of the most commonly used method of bullying is cyberbullying. Kids will repeatedly embarrassed and harass other kids online to make them feel better about themselves by bringing the other kid down. This is happening very commonly at every school in America. But only 17% of American students report being bullied 2 to 3 times a month or more within a school semester. it's inquiring to think that out of all the kids that get bullied in or out of school, only 17% of them were reported it. I think this is because often times when kids get bullied, they get threatened to get beat up or harassed if they tell a teacher. But what the victims don't understand, is that if they report bullying to the school counselors, they will do something about it. But often times they just don't do enough

But the lingering question that I've had in my head for a long time is, do the victims overreact about the harassment that Is happening to them? Often times bullies will say that they really didn't do much to the victim. But what the bully does not understand is the fact that everyone's feelings and soft spots are different. Even if you are teasing a kid for his haircut, the kid can still take extremely personally

Another common method of bullying is physical harassment. Physical harassment is directly intended to cause pain to the victims through physical contact. Approximately 160,000 teens skip school every day because they are threatened by a bully at school. Often times, boys will threaten their victims about actions that will be going down at school the next day. So it causes an astonishing amount of bully victims to skip school every day. Schools need to start paying more attention to actions like this and they need to set clear and enforceable rules towards actions like harassment and bullying.

The final affective bullying tactic that I am going to talk about is verbal bullying. Verbal bullying is the harassment act in which involves ongoing name-calling, threatening, and making disrespectful comments about someone's attributes. Verbal harassment is just as effective, if not more than physical and cyberbullying. This harassment tactic Is very effective because bullies often target the victims attribute in which they can't fix or change. Such as appearance, religion, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, and the list goes on and on. Verbal bullying is the most common type of bullying with 77% of students being verbally bullied. Depression and suicidal tendencies are directly linked to people who are victims of verbal abuse. If that doesn't make schools think more thoroughly about harassment and suicidal acts, then I don't know what would.

In conclusion, schools need to set more enforceable and tolerable rules about actions of harassment and bullying. Punishments need to be way worst than what they are now and schools really do need to crack down on bullying in and out of school. I feel by schools doing this, this will lower the amount of depression and suicidal cases due to bullying each year.