Morris R. New York

LGBTQ Rights In America

Dear Donald Trump, The LGBT community has been given the very basic right to marry, but there is still so much more to be done. This letter highlights the flaws and next steps to equal rights.

America is a country based on the promise of equality. 10% of Americans shouldn’t be denied these because of who they love. In Florida, nearly 50 people were shot dead at a LGBT night club. Over 20% of hate crimes in 2013 were against gay or lesbian people. It needs to end now. We need to integrate being gay as a good thing into schools curriculum in preschool and kindergarten because then we will grow up knowing you should not be ashamed of who you are. 30% of the LGBT community attempts suicide before 15 years of age. This could be easily avoided had they grown up thinking their sexual orientation was okay. The people who oppose same sex marriage say it “Offends God” or “Isn’t Natural”. They shouldn’t shame people with their religion, for not everyone agrees on that kind of thing.The LGBT community cannot be shamed during school hours by teachers or professors. If you, Mr. Trump, add pro LGBT learning into the curriculum early on, you will be put down in the history books as a hero. Be on the right side of history.

-Morris Raskin

NYC Lab Middle School

NYC Lab Middle School

Lab students have been painfully subjected to three debates where they searched for policy talk. Four and a half hours later.. Now, our students will have the chance to speak about an issue of importance and possibly make a recommendation for improvement.