Ayana Michigan

Flaws of the Foster Care System

Foster care has more negative effects on the former children than positive.

Oct 25, 2016

Foster Care

Foster Care is, a temporary arrangement in which adults provide for the care of a child or children whose birth parents are unable to care for them, (National Adoption Center). Many people aren't aware of the foster care process or adoption process children go through. When you mention foster care to someone, they would usually think it's beneficial for children whose parents aren't stable enough to care for them. But while in orphanages and foster homes many kids face abuse, both mentally and sometimes physically. Foster care has more negative effects on the former children than positive. I believe that the foster care system should be tweaked, to were the child's safety is one of the number one priorities.

On average a child in foster care will move 7 times while in the system (Upworthy). Making the child's life unstable. Due to all the moving the child is unable to create a close bond to anyone or a trusted adult. Foster Care should make children's lives more stable. Considering that the child has been though a lot, being taken away from their parents, or being forced out of a foster home.

Nearly 32% of foster children will wait over three years before being adopted. About 15,000 children have been waiting for five or more years to be adopted. And at least 25 states do not meet the federal standard for keeping kids safe while in care (Upworthy). 25 out 50 states, that's half of the country. Half of the children that are in Foster Care in the United States are not safe or taken care of properly during their time at orphanages and with their foster parents. Most of the time foster kids voices go unheard and their needs are ignored. Which causes more stress on the child, because the adults aren't listening to them or really cares about their needs. These kids are the future, they should be protected and heard like everyone else.

Studies of youth who have left foster care have shown they are more likely than those in the general population to not finish high school, be unemployed, and be dependent on public assistance. Many find themselves in prison, homeless, or parents at an early age (Foster Club). Considering such harsh facts, the foster care system only takes care of the child by providing needs but not important life lessons needed for adulthood. What foster care does not do is help kids through their transitioning years like puberty, or maturing into a responsible adult. The system keeps the kids at this state of mind that everything they do is on a routine. These routines aren't teaching them anything much but how to take care of themselves.

In conclusion, the foster care system is imperfect and there are lots of flaws within it. It'll be hard to adjust laws and regulations to make the foster care system nearly perfect, but it'll be worth it because we're protecting the future children. Here are some ideas for improving the system. Training should be improved for people who work with the children. It should also be mandatory for a psychologist to meet with the kids and workers weekly. In last be not least, foster parents should be checked on monthly and social workers should check on the kid to ensure they're safe.

Ayana Moore

Carman-Ainsworth High School

Carman-Ainsworth High School

This group consist of students in the course of English 12 for Ms. Mathews. We will be posting on issues of social injustice and making a change for the better.