Connor L. Michigan

Drain the Swamp: An Open Letter

It's time to clean up Washington and Drain the Swamp.

We elect our representatives in order to best look after our interests at Washington. Unfortunately, our leaders no longer look after us. They accept bribes and backroom deals, participate in dishonest lobbies, and run society by rule of the elite instead of the very people they claim to represent. This must end, and one current presidential candidate has said that we must “drain the swamp”. While the terminology is vague, it is expanded upon to include a ban on congressmen becoming lobbyists, as well as the suggestion to amend the constitution to impose term limits on congressmen.

Our government should not be made for and by a class of elites. Those at the top should belong to those below, and should step down when their turn is done. Thus, congress should not have members who, as Nigel Farage once described of the European Union Parliamentary, “have never worked an honest day in [their] lives.” Currently, we have a class of elites who look after the interests of corporations, a class of elites who care only for themselves—an aristocracy of olden times with no sense of Noblesse Oblige. By imposing term limits, the staying power of bad actor politicians is eliminated, and the old guard can be replaced with new members who are not so far-removed from the people they govern.

Additionally, corporate lobbies (bribes for the unenlightened) are a menace to the republic. Bribery cannot be described as anything but. Why do politicians claim that corporations push no agenda through their so-called “donations” when it is evident that those funds contribute to the over regulation and, in a sense, oppression of the American people? Corporations can buy a politician’s loyalty now because it is economically a sound investment. An NPR piece linked below gave one example where for every one dollar a company shelled out, they received the equivalent of $220 in beneficial legislation. Term limits increase the number of politicians a corporation must pay off, and increases how often they must, and in that way protect America from corruption.

We elect our representatives in order to best look after our interests at Washington. Unfortunately, our leaders no longer look after us. They accept bribes and backroom deals, participate in dishonest lobbies, and run society by rule of the corporate elite instead of the very people they claim to represent. This must end, and it may only ever be done from the bully pulpit.

Thank You   

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2012/01/06/144737864/forget-stocks-or-bonds-invest-in-a-lobbyist

Okemos High School

Youth Voices

Sharing our ideas with Youth Voices: http://www.youthvoices.live/ and Letters to the Next President 2.0