Melvin J. Oklahoma

Help Reduce the Homework Load

Students get too much homework, much of it meaningless.

Congratulations on winning the presidential election, though you must be getting use to your new environment there are still a lot of things to do, so here's one of them. The amount of homework given to student is absolutely ridiculous. “National PTA (NPTA) support a standard of “10 minutes of homework per grade level” and setting a general limit on after-school studying.” From my experience as an 8th grader I should get at least 80 minutes of homework. On the other hand sometimes I get 7 hours of homework and I get home at 5:00 pm!

Research has shown that teen are being over encumbered by the amount of homework they get. This causes teens to be stress, lack of physical activities, and they will separate themselves from society. 70% of students say that they “often or always stressed over schoolwork,” Well that's pretty bad but a majority of the schoolwork is actually useless. At Stanford a majority of student found their homework meaningless, and mindless. Some of it is.

I know that their is alot of thing to do in your job, but to reduce this work meaningless all you need do is make the requirements for homework stricter. The has been a interview Monitor of Psychology, the teacher cut the homework into thirds and then in half. None of the test scores changed. So teachers are just piling homework on kids for no reason, and this is dramatically affecting their health. Thank you for taking your precious time in reading my letter.

Sincerely

Melvin J.

Classen School of Advanced Studies

Classen SAS 8th Grade English

Students from Ms. Sutton's 8th grade English classes in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.