Grace M. New York

Animal Experimentation

My letter is about how Animal Experimentation is a big problem in the United States. Millions of animals are killed each year in U.S labs alone, and we can be the generation to end it.

Hi, my name is Grace, I am twelve years old and I live on Long Island. There are many problems happening in America today, but there is a recurring problem that I think we should focus on. Animal experimentation is a huge problem here in the United States. According to Newsweek, public support for animal testing has been a steady decline since the 1950’s, dropping from above 90%, in 1949, and then only to 57% in 2013, and I think we should we should bring more awareness to the subject. Because although the American people have stopped bringing awareness to the subject, that does not mean it isn’t important.

Animal experimentation has been around for quite some time, and on some occasions it has been proven to benefit human kind. But that’s not true for some certain cases. Drugs that end up passing animal tests are not necessarily safe, for example, in the 1950’s sleeping pills caused 10,000 babies to be born with severe deformities. According to Newsweek, the inner workings of rats and humans may be similar, but by no means are they identical, another reason why animal experimentation is not accurate.

An additional problem with animal experimentation is the way the animals are treated. Each year over 100 million animals are burned, crippled, poisoned, and abused in U.S labs alone. Lab raised animals are genetically engineered to die in a very particular way. In 2014, the limitations of animal testing appear to have caught up with research and development leading many to question whether the practice is still relevant.

Animal experimentation may have been the new technology back then, but we live in 2016 now. We have new technology that can get rid of animal experimentation, and prove accurate information each time we test a drug or a cosmetic product. According to University Wire, more experiments that are non-animal, are more humane, cheaper, faster and actually applicable to humans.

And if America chooses to still have animal experimentation done, I think at least we should have the testing done more humanly. Our scientist should respect that animals are living things too. I know that some animals will have to die in order to keep another human alive, but if the human ends up suffering because the animal experimentation was not accurate, that’s where I have a problem.

Thank you for taking the time of reading my paper regarding the subject of animal experimentation. I hope my writing has let you realize that animal experimentation is a big problem in America.

Grace

Center Moriches Middle School

C.M.M.S. Writers

Students in this group are members of a creative writing course.