Michelle L. New York

Gun Violence

Gun violence is getting out of control in the U.S.A.. It is a big threat to the safety of Americans and is responsible for many unnecessary deaths across the nation. This needs to stop.

As the president, it is your duty to lead, improve, and, most importantly, keep America safe. Gun violence is a big issue as it has greatly affected the safety of Americans as well as increasing the death rate in our country. According to the Gun Violence Archive, a non-profit corporation where they keep track of every gun-related incident in the U.S., there have been 46,962 incidents with 12,082 deaths and 25,013 injuries from gun violence as of October 28, 2016. “Brady Campaign” states that an average of 31 Americans are killed every day (which is about 11,315 deaths yearly) and 151 are treated for gun assault. 55 people, on a daily basis, commit suicides by using firearms and 46 are shot or killed in a gun accident. These numbers are incredibly high, and it raises questions on how thorough these background checks are when there are so many deaths and injuries caused by guns in the U.S.A. in only one year. This evidence also shows how anyone can be a victim of gun violence. If gun violence continues to be a norm, it can put just any place and community at risk for gun violence and can be a threat to someone’s safety.

As a 12-year-old female living in the urban city of New York, gun violence is no secret. With this many people living in the same space, it increases the risk of gun violence, so it is important that I am cautious. But what really triggered me (and my family) to learn more about gun violence was the Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting. The shooting, which killed 28 children along with the perpetrator, was scary and horrifying and left us all thinking, “It could have been me.” Guns should be for protecting one’s self, not to create fear.

Self-defense isn’t the only thing guns are used for. Guns can be for defense, hunting, target practice, or even recreational shooting. But there should be restrictions to using guns. Such as: disarming when you walk by a certain area or having background checks on everyone in a household that uses guns. Smart guns, firearms that have small little computers in them, can also help reduce gun violence. It will only allow the authorized owner of the gun to use it and can prevent anyone else from using it. However, like all policies, nothing is perfect. Disarming guns in certain places makes the gun owner vulnerable to any attack, background checks aren’t always perfect, and smart guns can have technological flaws (like the battery running out). Whether you restrict guns from certain areas or ban guns altogether, just remember to keep America safe for future generations.

Michelle L.

Sources:

http://www.bradycampaign.org/about-gun-violence

http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

NYC Lab Middle School

NYC Lab Middle School

Lab students have been painfully subjected to three debates where they searched for policy talk. Four and a half hours later.. Now, our students will have the chance to speak about an issue of importance and possibly make a recommendation for improvement.