Jordan New York

Underage Drinking Needs to STOP

For 16 and 17 yr olds, drinking to get “drunk” is the goal for 40 % percent of them. Next is where raising the law will help...drinking to get drunk for 18 to 24 year is the goal of 63%!

Although you may already know, raising the drinking age to 25 has been the goal for a few years now. I would like to just restate the reasons this law should be changed because at the moment it is not having a positive impact on the world. I have a few claims I would like to share in hopes to gain your side on the opinion.

As you may know drinking has no positive results on the human, especially their brain. Just to throw it out there the average human body does not fully mature until the age of 25. Now keeping that in mind, alcohol negatively affects the body, especially  due to the legal age being at 21. This can cause damage to the brain as it fully develops as well as the nervous system. An example of the damage is that an 18 year old girl went to her school prom, she came home later that night very “drunk” or intoxicated. This same girl ended up never waking up and died in her sleep! This happened because the alcohol became poison in her respiratory system and shut it down. So please note this to yourself that alcohol is deadly

But that's not all; alcohol affects other aspects of a human. Research shows that mainly in girls, alcohol can cause early depression and anxiety. As you grow up, the frontal lobe of your brain develops too. This controls emotional expression, problem solving, memory, language, judgment, and sexual behavior. Not to scare anybody, but teens who have been drunk more than 10 times most likely have attention problems as well as depression. This is not something that we want the next generation teens growing up with now is it?

Lastly i'd like to state some statistics. Raising the age limit by three years was reported to have resulted in a 16 percent fall in the number of crashes involving young people. Now that's a pretty decent number because anything of an improvement is great especially for this subject. Also, for 16 and 17 yr olds, drinking to get “drunk” is the goal for 40 % percent of them. Next is where raising the law will help...drinking to get drunk for 18 to 24 year is the goal of 63%!  If that doesn't convince you that immature young adults are making the wrong decision ,then I don't know what does.

Jordan

Works cited:

Reuters. “Teen Drinking Linked to Depression, Anxiety.” NY Daily News, 11 July 2009, www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/teen-drinking-linked-depression-anxiety-girls-study-article-1.429372.

“Should the Drinking Age Be Raised?” The Premier Online Debate Website, www.debate.org/opinions/should-the-drinking-age-be-raised.

“Should the Legal Drinking Age Be Raised to 25? | Narconon - Addiction and Recovery.” RSS, 8 May 2015, www.narconon.org/blog/alcoholawareness/should-the-legal-drinking-age-be-raised-to-25/.

www.dailytelegraph.com.au/rendezview/its-time-to-raise-the-legal-drinking-age-to-25/news-story/77727b74d8b40c2749f2df680dabbd77.

Troy High School

Mr. Mo's Amazing English Students

Each of my students has a voice that needs to be heard. These are the minds and hearts that will help shape our country's future. All student writing, audio, video and artwork is 100% original and supported with in-depth research. Enjoy their incredible work.