Sydney H. Georgia

Why Can't I buy It?

The minimiu​m drinking age is too high and should be lowered.

Dear Mr. or Mrs. President,

At the age of 18 you are considered a legal adult. You can risk your life for your country and move out on your own or choose who will be the next leader of the place we call home. Unfortunately at this age you aren’t able to purchase alcohol. The age 21 is the legal age for a person to drink and buy these adult beverages. The solution to this problem is lowering the drinking age

Not only will it be more reasonable toward legal adults in the United States but it will reduce the number of underage drinking. According to the CDC “even though drinking by persons under 21 is illegal people aged 12 to 20 drink 11% of all alcohol consumed in the United States.” And the SADD shows that in the last 30 days 26.4% of underage persons consumed alcohol. Not only that but the MLDA (minimum legal drinking age) ineffective because teens still drink underage.

Since teens continuously drink underage they drink unsupervised and in secret. 29 states allow underage drinking with parental consent in a private non-alcohol selling premises. Whereas drinking in a bar or venue that sells alcohol would give the more control over how much the person drinks. Not only will it be safer to be supervised but it would diminish the thrill of breaking the law.

Yes, lowering the law could lead to more drug use or middle and high school students drinking. But drinking is an enjoyable activity and most enjoyable activities are permitted at 18 like visit casinos or get a tattoo. Not only would it allow adult rights for certain activities but it could also allow more profit for places selling alcohol.

So by lowering the drinking age you could increase profit for some companies and lower alcoholic crimes. So solve this by dropping the Uniform Drinking law and allow the states to lower the overall drinking age.

Sydney H.