Zaniera F. Minnesota

Gender Discrimination

Gender discrimination is both wrong and unlawful. I propose a way to put an end to it.

Gender discrimination should be added to the non-discrimination laws because the wage gap between women and men is unfair, it’s against the international human rights law, and its teaching children that you can treat someone badly because they're different from you. It's 2016 and we've had enough history of people thinking it's okay to discriminate against people and think someone's inferior because of their differences. It's time for a change, this is why.

According to the 2014 census there were approximately 162 million women compared to 157 million men in the U.S.(census.gov). Even though women can be considered a majority they still face discrimination. Discrimination like the wage gap that some people tend to say is a myth but isn’t. “One year after graduation, it was found that women earned 82 percent of what the men earned, with similar education and experience as their male counterparts. 10 years after graduation, those women were only earning 69 percent of what the men were earning.”(National Organization For Women). This gap also isn't because women aren't assertive enough to ask for raises either. “In a 2007 study, it was found that male employers are less likely to hire a woman who negotiates about salary, as the men perceive these women as “demanding.” Many women are aware they will be punished for acting in such a way and some will avoid this, by no fault of the woman but by fault of the culture.” (National Organization For Women).

“All people, irrespective of sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, are entitled to enjoy the protections provided for by international human rights law, including in respect of rights to life, security of person and privacy, the right to be free from torture, arbitrary arrest and detention, the right to be free from discrimination and the right to freedom of expression, association and peaceful assembly.”(ohchr.org) . While these laws are supposed to protect people from discrimination there are still people who are discriminated against especially in the workplace because of their gender. “It’s important to remember, however, that constitutional protections only cover discrimination or mistreatment by the government, not by private businesses or individuals.”(aclu.org) . Whether it’s because they’re women, transgender, or nonbinary, employment opportunities can be taken away because that’s not the “image” a company wants. Some may think that these people deserve what they get, that they deserve to be treated unfairly but like ohchr.org said, “Where there is a tension between cultural attitudes and universal human rights, rights must carry the day”. As a child you learn just because you don’t like someone doesn’t mean you can bully them or be mean to them. You learn that you don’t always get to work with people you like, but you have to deal with it.

The most open minded, and easily influenced minds are children. New ideas can be planted in their heads to grow and form them as a person. If they grow up not knowing about different people, genders, and cultures, then they may grow up showing some rejection or hesitation to these new ideas. “At the conventional level (most adolescents and adults), we begin to internalize the moral standards of valued adult role models.”(simplypsychology.org). Children copy what they see from adults. If the adults around them show disgust towards gay or transgender people then that's the idea that will get planted into their head. “The child/individual is good in order to be seen as being a good person by others. Therefore, answers relate to the approval of others.”(simplypsychology.org). That is why I propose that more mandatory learning programs are introduced in schools for kids to learn positive things about other genders. So that when they grow up they don’t point and laugh at the gay kid in their class. When they become a big boss of some company they don’t underpay an employee because she’s a woman. If you influence the minds of children positively then this country has a future.

Discrimination based on gender or gender identity should be against the law because it affects many people's lifestyles and earning potential, and It’s against human rights. To stop this issue I believe children should learn positive things about different genders because they’re the future. Changing people’s ideas is not easy but a good start would be to make the playing field even.

Sincerely, Zaniera F