Libby D. Virginia

The Cost of Education

The exorbitant cost of a college education is not something that we can keep living with.

Dear Future President 

The education system in the United States is appalling. There are too many cities and schools that do not have adequate teachers or an adequate environment to teach in. The cost of college now is almost seventy percent more than it was just five years ago. How do you expect people to further their education with prices like that? 

In our society, it is almost impossible to obtain a job without a college education. But since the prices are so high, many people are forced to give up on their dream of higher education. Now, they may only have a high school diploma, and the job opportunities you have with just that are slim. These jobs also don't provide nearly enough money to be able to live comfortably. How are we supposed to have a high functioning economy when many of our citizens are uneducated and unemployed? 

For the people that desire education, no matter the cost, are forced to take out thousands of dollars worth of loans and be stuck with the debt for years after college. These debts weigh them down and put a burden on their backs, just for wanting an advanced education. It is almost impossible for the average college student to not have some sort of scholarship or financial aid and still be able to afford college. Why is it so expensive to want to be an educated citizen, capable of gaining a career? 

There are some individuals that can afford to attend a college or university without financial assistance, but they are few and far between. These people are probably from the upper class of society and come from educated parents or guardians who are involved in bettering the economy, and they in turn will do the same. But with prices so high, the lower classes will not be able to contribute to the economy in the same manner. Why can everyone not be offered this opportunity. 

A solution to this problem would help the United States as a whole. To reduce the price of colleges and universities, would increase the amount of students attending and increase the revenue of the school. This would in turn, produce more educated citizens to be able to access more jobs. This could reduce the unemployment rate in the country. All of these points can strengthen our economy and enrich our society. Lower the price of education to heighten the intellect of the U.S.

Sincerely an Informed Citizen, 

Libby Darden 

Smithfield High School

SHS AP Lang Blocks 1 & 2

Smithfield High School, AP Language and Composition, 11th grade