Brayden Bird Virginia

Financial Aid

I believe that people in our country people are taking advantage of financial aid knowing that they will continue to live well even if they don't work, so they aren't. This money is coming from people who work hard to support for themselves or their family.

I am writing to you today concerning the amount of government aid that is given out to people every month in our country. This money is coming from everyday people who are really working hard to support for themselves or their family. Instead, they are being taxed nearly forty percent, and part of the reason for this is to give it out to people unwilling to work for a living. I completely understand that some money is necessary for people to survive, and that some honestly can't physically or mentally work. I am okay with these people , however the people who realize the government will continue to give them money no and are taking advantage are the people who need to be stopped. 

I will use food stamps as an example. My aunt is a manager at a grocery store called Food Lion. She sees hundreds of people walk in and out of her store everyday. She has told numerous stories of people who are able to buy food she can't afford with food stamps. How is it that someone who works very hard isn't living as well as someone who is too lazy to work, and therefore can sit at home and eat steak for dinner. I understand that some need this support for themselves or their kids, but they should not be able to live in luxury.

The government needs to take a reality check and stop babying everyone. If you force people to work hard, they will. If someone needs to get a job to put food on the table, and a roof over their head, they will. Instead of paying for their food for a month, pay for half, and force them to get a job. This will reward those who work hard and let people who earn their money keep it. It can also create more jobs.

Sincerely, Brayden Bird

Smithfield High School

SHS AP Lang Blocks 1 & 2

Smithfield High School, AP Language and Composition, 11th grade