Ada S. Iowa

Right to Education

Students should have the right to a fair and affordable education

What do you think of when you hear the word values? My name is Ada and some of the things I value most in life are my right to an education and money. Being a sophomore in high school, my education is one of my main focuses at the moment. I wake up at 6:00 am five days a week to go to school. I have six classes and extracurricular activities after school. By the time I get home from school I am really tired and have very little motivation to do homework.

Most students don’t go straight home after school, whether they play a sport, are in a club or even have a job. The main problem with a large portion of schools is that they don’t take into account students' lives outside of school. Another problem is that when a student is taking many classes during a day, it is almost guaranteed that they will have an assignment in at least one class, if not more, everyday.

Teachers say that they are there to prepare you for college, and life after you graduate. If this is true then you should be able to choose whether or not you want to take core classes such as Math, Science or English. For instance, say a student isn’t very good at math but they get outstanding grades in English. If they do really poorly on a test or major assignment in math it drops their whole GPA. This is why I believe that public schools shouldn’t make classes a requirement to get into college. Most students just see this as a waste of time and don’t try anyway. I have talked to multiple teachers and they all agree that students that are in classes that they don’t enjoy they don’t try, get bad grades and therefore become more stressed.

I hope you have taken into consideration what I said and understand my points. Students should not be required to take classes that do not relate to the college degree they want to receive, and that if a student does well in high school they should not be forced to pay an outrageous amount of money for college. I hope you serve your term as president well and make changes for our country that we will benefit from for the rest of our lives.

Ada S.