Hailey J. Virginia

Gun Control

With all of the gun violence occurring in our nation, something must be done to prevent the loss of innocent lives. We need to take a fresh look at the laws concerning gun control before we reach a point of no return and spiral further into chaos.

Dear Mrs. President:

           As the election nears and it is likely that you will be taking office soon, I wish to express a concern that weighs heavily on my mind. I feel that it is my civic responsibility as a citizen to verbalize my opinion. 

           Gun control is a prevalent, but controversial affair in today's society. On average in 2015, 36 Americans were killed each day via a gun. In a country that claims to value life as an unalienable right, this is atrocious. Any attempt to change the laws surrounding these weapons is met with fury from the NRA and its supporters. They claim that it encroaches on their Second Amendment right to bear arms. However, this is dangerous and outdated. Twice a day, a citizen under the age of 18 has their life cut short by gunfire. Our posterity are losing their bright futures, because we are unable to come together to stop or limit the distribution of firearms. Our society has become desensitized to drive-bys, murders, and mass shootings, because of a government that shows that no matter how many of these horrific events occur, they won't change. This revolting stagnation claims the lives of mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, and children everyday.

           I understand that a nation without guns is impractical. I know that people use them for sport and for protection. In fact, my father goes out hunting every morning that he can in the fall. However, my father went through all the necessary precautions in order to receive and properly use a gun, and he does not have an assault rifle in his gun case. The goal of an assault rifle is to kill as many people in a short amount of time as possible. They have the capability of holding an exorbitant amount of rounds and firing them in a modicum's duration. While this is helpful in the military, average people do not need this in their homes or communities. I also believe that it should be more difficult to obtain a gun. With all of the country's worry about terrorism, the fact that a person on a terrorist watch list has the ability to legally obtain a weapon is contradictory and befuddling. A person with a diagnosed, dangerous mental illness can acquire one with just as must ease. A common argument is that we already have background checks in place and that should be enough, but these are for federally licensed gun sellers. This accounts for merely 60% of the guns sold in the United States, and allows the other 40% to continue unhindered.

         People are dying everyday in this country because of Congress's inability to evolve in today's society. Therefore, I implore you to stand up for us and make a difference in this matter.


An Informed Citizen

Hailey Joyce

Smithfield High School

SHS AP Lang Blocks 1 & 2

Smithfield High School, AP Language and Composition, 11th grade

All letters from this group →