Kevin Virginia

Price of Higher Education

The financial aspect of getting a college education can be deterring to a lot of teens aiming for higher education. This issue can be dealt with if a tiny portion of the military budget would be utilized for more important issues of the century, like educating our youth.

Throughout my entire life, I've always been taught the importance of education.  I've always strived to excel in school and achieve the highest standard possible.  However, as I near my goal of reaching college, the financial aspect of getting an education begins to shadow over my target.  As a member of a middle class family, I know how hard my parents have to work in order for me to be able to reach college.  Tens of thousands of dollars have to be poured into college tuition for me to receive higher education, regardless of how dedicated my parents are.  With that being said, I'd like to ask you to acknowledge the trouble for those who cannot afford to reach college.

Although I may not be as influenced by the price tag of getting a degree compared to those that are less fortunate, it can still be a burden to all when it comes to taking loans and having to pay them back decades after receiving higher education.  Instead of leaving students with no choice but to suffer these loans, I believe that the government should support students when it comes to college and pour a small amount of the excessive military budget into ensuring that the young men and women in this country won't be deterred from reaching their dreams and aspirations because of a simple issue as not being able to afford getting degrees.  Until then, the young will continue to be frightened by the price of valuable education, halting our country from advancing further into a better nation.

Smithfield High School

SHS AP Lang Blocks 1 & 2

Smithfield High School, AP Language and Composition, 11th grade