Elizabeth S. California

Police Brutality

Police abuse power and kill people for unnecessary reasons. Families are affected when police kill their loved ones. There is always another side to the story, but is it ever really necessary to use excessive force?

September 1, 2016

Police brutality is a big problem in our country. Police are abusing their power and killing people for unnecessary reasons. Families are being affected by police killing their loved ones. There is always another side to the story but it’s not really necessary to use excessive force.

People are getting killed for necessary reasons. About 700 people have been killed this year so far it says in the article Killedbypolice. According to the article The Guardian it is verified that about 700 people have been killed this year so far. The Washington article says that the police killings have gone up by 6% since last year.

In the article Wagingnonviolece Howell says “she is afraid to call the police”. According to Popular Resistance the mother of Nicholas Heyward says “ my son meant the world to me”, ” It’s such a painful feeling that never goes away”. Families are getting destroyed because they are losing their loved ones. The worst part of all is that some cops get justified as “defending themselves”. Which sometimes is the case but sometimes not and it is unfair.

According to the article National Review “ The chances of an innocent black man being gunned down by police is vanishingly small”. In the article Tribune242 it says “ officers are just defending themselves”. In Wesley Lowery words he states that even though whites are mostly killed by police, African Americans are 2.5% times more likely to get shot. My point by this is lots of people think police brutality isn’t a problem but it is. Cops need to be thinking with their head not with their guns.

I propose for cops to get extra training on when to shoot. This will be very effective for law enforcement. Law enforcement needs extra training because they are shooting at unnecessary times. Law enforcement takes out guns at times that are not needed. Cops are not being trained as well as they should. Why pull out a gun at a jack in the box employee because they are not doing their burger fast enough like a cop did in the article The Free Thought Project. That is exactly my point about cops using excessive force.

Elizabeth Salinas