Isabel W. California

Animal Overpopulation

Animal overpopulation is an issue that not a lot of people know about, but it should be addressed and helped.

Have you ever wondered where all the stray puppies and kittens go when they’re born? Animal overpopulation is a big issue in the world because animals are being put down in shelters and they are being abused by people who don’t want them. A big reason overpopulation is so serious is because too many animals are being put into shelters and being euthanized. When an animal has babies, usually those babies get put into a shelter. When the shelter gets filled with too many animals, they have to start euthanizing them. There are about 7.6 million animals going into the shelters each year. Only about 2.7 million of these animals get adopted each year, and 2.7 million are euthanized. If the number of animals gets reduced in the world, then so does the amount that gets euthanized.

When an animal has babies, usually those babies get put into a shelter. When the shelter gets filled with too many animals, they have to start euthanizing them. There are about 7.6 million animals going into the shelters each year. Only about 2.7 million of these animals get adopted each year, and 2.7 million are euthanized. If the number of animals gets reduced in the world, then so does the amount that gets euthanized. When there are too many dogs in the world, bad people adopt them just for dog fights. These dogs get brutally abused by being forced to fight other dogs. Also, if there is someone who feels so bad for the animals put into the shelter and adopt too many of them, they can get neglected and abused in that way. These are just two of many ways animals are being abused in the world. Because there are too many animals that need homes, there are bad people adopting the innocent creatures and hurting them. 

Animal overpopulation does not affect many people because some people don’t mind if animals are being put down all over the country or being abused. This issue isn’t affecting people very much, but there is a way to help to save these innocent animals. If people start to spay/neutering their pets, it could help a lot. You can also donate to places who are already trying to help this cause. 

Overall, there are millions of animals out in the world who can’t be housed because there are too many of them. They are being euthanized, abused, starved, and so much more. If there was some way to reduce the amount of animals in the world, it would help them, and us, greatly. 

Thank you,

Isabel

"Dog Fighting." ASPCA. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

"Pet Statistics." ASPCA. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Nov. 2016. 

Diablo Vista Middle School

Zhebel - English 8

Zhebel - English 8