Kiana California

Same-Sex Rights

1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW,

Washington, DC 20500

Dear Mr./Mrs. President:

Congratulations for winning the election . I know the job of a president is not easy, and therefore, I trust that you have our best interests at heart.

Our countries is not perfect, and you have the honor to help make it a better country. That is why I would like you to consider the issue of same sex marriage., We do not have equal rights when its comes to marriages. One example to start off with is same sex marriage, I believe that just because you love someone that happened to be the same sex doesn't mean you don't deserve equal rights.

Most people will claim that gay marriage is a sin and does not agree with the Bible; however, divorce is also considered a sin in the bible, yet for some reason it is more socially acceptable. Why is that? Divorce is also a big sin..Over 877,000 people get divorced a year, according to the www.mckinleyirvin.com. While at least 252,000 same sex couples gets married a year according to the http://www.pewresearch.org/ . Seeing these results, may affect the way we see it, are we so use to people getting divorced that we don't see it as bad and see gay marriage as a bad event from it not being as common and being a new thing.

Denying people the option to marry creates a second class of citizens. On July 25, 2014 Miami Dade County Circuit Court ruled Florida's gay marriage ban unconstitutional and stated that the ban to discriminate, to deprive same-sex couples and their families of equal dignity, to label and treat them as second class citizens, and to deny them unworthy of participation in one of the fundamental institutions of our society. US Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals Judge started overturning same-sex marriage bans in Wisconsin and Indiana in Sept. 2014.

Having equal marriage rights is a human right as an American. Since the year 1888, the United States Supreme Court had declared 14 times that ¨marriage is a fundamental right for all”. Universal Declaration of Human Rights states “men and women of full age, without any limitation due to race,nationality, sexuality or religion. They are entitled to equal rights as to marriage.”. We are all humans no matter how different you are from the person next to you. As humans of this country we have Human Rights. Human Rights is “a right that is believed to belong justifiably to every person.” this entitles a right of marriage to everyone.

In conclusion, America was made to be equal for all. Not to group up based on sexuality, gender, and race. So help me make America a state of equality and freedom. 

Kiana T.