Rayan E. New York

Illegal Immigration

Illegal Immigration into the United States should be allowed under certain circumstances.

According to migration policy.org, there were 42.4 million immigrants in the United States of America in 2014 and this number is increasing. A lot of immigrants enter the US illegally. To many people illegal immigration is a huge problem. But I disagree. I have a solution that can solve problems with illegal immigration without eradicating it completely.

This issue is very important because immigrants make up a huge percentage of the population in the U.S. 13.3% of people in the US are immigrants according to the Migration Policy Institute in 2014. People come to the U.S for a better life and to seek jobs that can provide for their families. Many people enter the U.S to get away from war, poverty, and oppression. I care about illegal immigration because I strongly believe that it is morally wrong to take away the chance of having a better life from people and families who need it.

Yes, one way to stop illegal immigration from Mexico is to build a wall. But will building a wall really work? The answer to that is no. According to journalist Joe Greenberg from the Tampa Bay Times, 27% to 40% of all immigrants fly to the U.S legally and overstay their visa’s. So building a wall won't be the best idea. I believe that one of the best ways to solve illegal immigration is to make it legal. I believe that the U.S should do background checks on immigrants coming into the U.S while still making immigration legal. This will prevent additional crimes which is one of the main reasons why people don't want immigrants entering the U.S

I'm asking you to help these immigrants. I want you to allow all immigration into the U.S in a safe and effective way by preventing criminals to enter the U.S without taking immigration rights away from those who deserve it. All people should have the right to immigrate to the U.S excluding criminals. This will be good for Americans and the immigrants seeking a  better life than the life that they have.

Rayan E.

Sources Used:

Conover, Adam. "Adam Ruins Immigration." TruTV. TruTV, 25 Sept. 2016. Web. 5 Nov. 2016.<http://www.trutv.com/shows/adam-ruins-everything/blog/adams-sources/adam-ruins-immigration.html>.

Zong, Jie, and Jeanne Batalova. "Frequently Requested Statistics on Immigrants and Immigration in the United States." Migrationpolicy.org. Migration Policy Institute, 26 May 2016. Web. 14 Nov. 2016.

NYC Lab Middle School

NYC Lab Middle School

Lab students have been painfully subjected to three debates where they searched for policy talk. Four and a half hours later.. Now, our students will have the chance to speak about an issue of importance and possibly make a recommendation for improvement.