Jonah B. New York

Global warming is a problem

Global warming is a big deal. I want to see global warming addressed because it can have drastic effects on the climate.

The north and south poles are melting and the temperature is rising to a record breaking amount. We need to be more. According to Phys.org, “population and economic growth combined with rising energy use per person could significantly increase global energy demand and CO2 emissions, causing world average temperature to rise by 1.5 degrees as early as 2020.” That may not sound like much, but even a little rise in temperature could cause a lot of devastation. According to Future of Climate Change that small increase in temperature could:

“Increase Earth's average temperature

Raise sea level

Increase the frequency, intensity, and/or duration of extreme events

Shift ecosystem characteristics

Increase threats to human health”

I remember Hurricane Sandy. I was walking home with my family coming from some friend’s house and the streets were flooded. But that wasn’t the worst of it. My brother was asthmatic so when when we got home there was a lot of dust and my brother got an asthma attack. I remember that I was so scared we had to drive to my grandma’s house in the bronx because she had power. I don't want to think about what could have happened if her power had been knocked out too. But if we keep on doing what we're doing, and giving global warming a blind eye, there will be more and more catastrophes.

Now that little rise in temperature looks like a lot. I don’t want this to be the life of my kids, my brother’s kids, or any ones kids. So please try to make a difference and stop this from being a reality.

Yours truly,

Jonah Berlin, age 11

http://phys.org/news/2016-03-world-temperature-rapidly.htm

https://www.epa.gov/climate-change-science/future-climate-change

NYC Lab Middle School

NYC Lab Middle School

Lab students have been painfully subjected to three debates where they searched for policy talk. Four and a half hours later.. Now, our students will have the chance to speak about an issue of importance and possibly make a recommendation for improvement.