Mindi Michigan

Global Warming Awareness

The problems of enhancing natural greenhouse effects and bringing awareness to the issue.

Dear Future President,

I have been a citizen of the United States all of my life. I love and care about the wellbeing of our country and society. With your new job there will be many issues that you will have to take care of. A big problem that I am concerned about is global warming. I have always enjoyed being outdoors and want to make sure that nature is being protected. During your presidency I am requesting that you do something to reverse the effects of global warming.

Our Earth has a natural greenhouse effect which means 30% of the sunlight that is reflected onto the Earth is reflected back into space, and the other 70% is absorbed into the Earth. Natural greenhouse effects are beneficial for life on Earth. In recent years there has been an issue of enhancing the greenhouse effect which can be very harmful. Earth observatory recently put out an article explaining the issue. It claims that what has scientists concerned now is that over the past 250 years, humans have been artificially raising the concentration of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere at an increasing rate, mostly by burning fossil fuels, but also from cutting down carbon-absorbing forests.

Many citizens contribute to global warming every day without their knowledge. The Environmental Defense Fund explains that the two main ways that human activity is causing the Earth to get hotter. The first is burning fossil fuel. When we extract and burn fossil fuels such as coal or petroleum, it causes the heat to be trapped and alter the amount of greenhouse gases. The second is cutting down the forest. Clearing forests also releases large amounts of carbon dioxide. On top of that, plants and trees use it to grow. Worldwide deforestation means we don’t have as many trees to absorb the extra carbon dioxide. Creating some laws that forbid certain amounts of fossil fuels to be burned and minimize the cutting of the forest will bring great benefits to our future.

I would appreciate your consideration on the effects of global warming. I think there are some small changes that could be enforced that would make a big difference and help to preserve our Earth. Educating citizens on the effects of burning fossil fuels and cutting down trees would be profitable, so that they are more aware of what damage is being done.

Thank you for taking the time to read my thoughts on what change I would like to see during your presidency.



Hanover-Horton High School

Creative Writing Class

This is my creative writing class, they have concerns with our county and world today. Agree or Disagree, it is their VOICE to express.

All letters from this group →