Tayler D. Colorado

When will racism end?

People of authority being racist.

Dear Madam/Mr. President:

For years racism has been a problem in our country and the question everyone asks is, when will it stop? Obviously this is a very general question but it also makes it hard to work on this issue when not only is our society being racist but our criminal justice system is as well. one in every three black men is likely to be imprisoned in their lifetime and that’s because police see people of color to be more likely to do something illegal rather than Caucasians; therefore, they are more likely to be pulled over even when they aren’t doing anything wrong. So tell me, with this being the case, when will racism stop?

With you as our president I would like to think that many people would look up to you and be more likely to take your word against mine. Being that you are worthy of presidency, I would like you to make sure that our policemen are worthy enough to be policemen. It is your job to prove to us that we can trust law enforcement and look up to them, not be worried about whether or not they’re for me or against me based on my skin color.

How can we move forward with ending racism when one of the people we look up to most is showing nothing but racism?

So Madam/Mr.President, I would like to propose the idea that all police officers have proper training in situations varying from a robbing at a gas station to hostages held at gun point, my point being that they know what to do and how to react in special circumstances and not to feel the need to pull out a gun to protect themselves. If this were to happen, life for people of color would feel safer and more likely to trust people of authority.

It's the little things that make a change.

Tayler Davis