Rebekah California

The Weight of a Living Soul is So Much Heavier Than a Few Hundred Dollars

Dear Next President, Congratulations! You won the 2016 Presidential Election! I have extremely high hopes for our country's future and the care along with the well-being of our next generations. My main concern is animal cruelty. Animals are living things, this means we should treat them like living things. The ASPCA website states that each year, approximately 2.7 million animals are euthanized. Of the dogs entering shelters, approximately 35% are adopted, 31% are euthanized and 26% of dogs who came in as strays are returned to their owner. This issue has been overlooked mainly because we Americans call ourselves lovers of the wild, and we are not wanting to recognize that we can't even protect our closest friends. This is a fact that I believe everyone should know. If you know the movie called “Susie’s Hope”, you know that it is unacceptable. This is the number of mice, rats, dogs, cats, rabbits, monkeys, and many other species of animals that are killed each year in the many testing laboratories throughout the US. I know that when an owner brings a pet to the shelter, there is a extremely good chance that they will not find a new home. Is this how we should treat "man’s best friend"? Currently, CA Penal Code 597.1 states that every owner, driver, or keeper of any animal who permits the animal to be in any building, enclosure, lane, street, square, or lot of any city, county and country, or judicial district without proper care and attention is guilty of a misdemeanor. However, I believe the weight of a living soul is so much heavier than a few hundred dollars. I believe that if you don’t want your pet anymore, give them to a family that wants them, don’t let them die in a shelter. I want to congratulate you and hope you take in all of the questions and comments the children of the world have for you. I hope and pray as you take over the country for the next years, you will be safe along with your family. God bless. Thank you for serving our country!