Leo California

Equal Rights

People of all types deserve Equal rights

Congratulations on winning the race. I followed the tedious election closely. My main concern is equal rights. In recent years, prejudice and hatred toward people of different race, gender, and sexual orientation have increased. Racism still exists among Americans, along with the perception that race relations have not improved since Barack Obama became president. A couple years ago George Zimmerman claimed he shot the unarmed Trayvon Martin, an African-American teenager, in self-defense because of what he regarded as suspicious behavior. The incident has touched off a nationwide debate not only about racial-profiling but also Florida’s stand-your-ground law. There have also been a lot of videos of police shootings of unarmed African-American men. (194 African-Americans were killed only in this year.) Women still make less than men in the workplace. Gay marriage has been legalized under Obama’s administration, but there is still prejudice towards homosexuals. Recently a video was released depicting a anorexic transvestite dancing with an umbrella. The video was meant to scare people with the clip of Sandy Crisp from “The Goddess Bunny” and the distorted music. This makes me angry because it has made people either think the video is scary or think it is comical. I don’t think that Sandy Crisp would have wanted this to happen and I hope that whoever made the video is banned from the internet.

I think a president should have: Integrity, perseverance, caring and compassion. As President, I hope that you can lead us towards a diverse and accepting America. You fought extremely hard in the election, and I hope that you’re ready to fight hard for America, and keep your promises.