Caroline C. California

Gun Violence Needs to Stop

Gun violence in the United States is an extremely important issue and action needs to be taken in order to save people's lives.

Dear Madam or Mr. President,

I firmly believe that the use of unnecessary gun violence is one of the most pressing issues of this time. It feels like it is every other day that I read the news only to discover that there has been another horrific gun-related incident. In 2015 alone, there were 372 mass shootings and 64 school shootings in the United States. The US Department of Justice reports that 11,385 people on average have died each year due to gun violence between 2001 and 2011. This needs to be stopped. 

Personally, I think that guns are unnecessary in this day and age and should be banned altogether. No one truly needs a gun in the twenty-first century. The only reason that people feel they need guns for self-defense is because other people have guns and use them for harm. Many more people die due to gun violence each year than they are protected by gun violence. However, I understand that it would be nearly impossible to rid people of guns, challenge the NRA, and change the Second Amendment. 

I think that one of the first steps we need to take is implementing gun control laws. For example, we could take a lesson from Canada and require that in order to buy a gun you first have to take a gun-safety course, fill out an application, and complete paperwork. This kind of procedure is similar to when you want to get a driver's license. Guns are extremely dangerous weapons, and simple policies to screen possible buyers and prevent unsafe gun use seems sensible. 

I urge you to use your time as president to make try and reduce gun deaths and make America a safer and better place.

Caroline Cummings 

Marlborough School

Modern World History Honors Period C

Letters to the Next President