Jonathan S. Minnesota

Letter to President

Technology Privacy

Dear President of the United States of America,

I would like to congratulate you on your accomplishment of this very close political race. I am giving you this letter to bring my concern to the eye. I believe we need to rewrite and/or address the loopholes within the fourth amendment, to take into consideration the new technologies used today.

I would like to give some background knowledge in case you don’t know and/or think of examples of this issue in today’s world. Assuming you know what Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter is. Most of these social media apps have and/or use facial recognition to suggest who people may be, or to tag them in the picture. Also if you ever talked to by government offices and/or go to take an interview for a job, and they look up your record without permission. Let’s also bring forth some knowledge of drones. If someone has a recreational drone or a licensed drone, and your captured on the camera built-in or mounted, but you never gave permission to the operator of the drone to capture you.

I am personally concerned about this topic because I am a student and citizen within the United States of America’s education system, and the United States of America. I use and/or see a lot of technology used within my school days and personal time. I am often posted about on apps such as After School, Snapchat, Facebook, but I never gave my permission to post things about me. I also witness people flying recreational drones around my neighborhood, recording videos.

Other states may have already passed laws to ensure that this amendment is still true with today’s technologies. I found a quote from an article written by Hanni M. Fakhoury for the New York Times “In Washington, a Senate committee recently passed an amendment to the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, to require all law enforcement agencies obtain a search warrant before reading your e-mail.”

My solution to this issue would be to address the newer technology used today, and alter the fourth amendment. You could alter or add to this amendment to increase privacy with the newer technology used today. As the fourth amendment states: “The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers. And effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.” I interpret this amendment as if I have the right to be secure with things on me, in my house, documents (either paper or digital), and actions of mine. If any of those things need, and/or would like to be searched, the party is required to have a search warrant. No search warrant is allowed to be granted without probable cause, which must be supported by an oath or affirmation. Thanks for taking to time to read about my concern.

Jonathan C. Search

10th Grader

Henry Sibley High School