Jesus B. Minnesota

Cost of a College Education

A college education is cost too much for middle class and lower class families to afford

Dear next president,

I would like to first congratulate you at your success at becoming the president of the United States. It was an interestingly election year and whoever this e-mail gets sent to, I hope that your four years of office are at least somewhat interesting.

Now onto the topic that I wanted to originally talk about, I think that a college education is cost too much for middle class and lower class families to afford. There is an answer to this predicament, but you will have to read this email to understand what that answer is and why that answer is. First, here is some background info; “tuition and fees can cost up to $32,405, the average cost for books and supplies is about $1,298”(www.collegedata.com), all together that’s about $45,219 in total just for one student to attend college, and this isn’t even including the average costs for personal items such as clothing, food, or devices that are sometimes required for schools. The one way that many students pay off this massive expensive is through a cottage industry of private and publicly-funded loan programs, which loans around $100 billion a year.

The main reason that colleges are charging so much for students to attend their schools is because the government is no longer funding colleges as much as they used to. If the government helps fund the education system like they used to, then there would be more students attending college, therefore, more educated and employed citizens.

Jesus Becerra