Ben B Pennsylvania

My standpoint on Gun Control

Thoughts on gun control is a common topic in the presidential election because it is something that needs more attention. Removing guns from the household of citizens would impeach the second amendment. Our founding fathers put this right in the Constitution for a reason. They knew that law abiding citizens would use firearms as their source of protection and not for evil purposes.

Studies show that countries that allow their citizens to own have lower crime and homicide rates(web: Sandra M. Alters. Gun Control: Restricting Rights or Protecting People). Switzerland’s homicide rate is the third lowest in the world due to the fact that citizens are allowed to own guns. Criminals in Switzerland know that most of the citizens have a firearm on them which means that they couldn’t get away with whatever crime they were going to commit. We can’t always depend on the police to stop the perpetrator because the police need time to respond to the call.

“No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” said one of our founding fathers by the name of Thomas Jefferson(web: Buckeye Firearms Association). The second amendment wasn’t put in the Constitution to be changed. They put it in for the sole reason that our people need a way to protect themselves when authorities can’t respond in time.

Firearms are one of the main sources of protection in America. If war was ever to break out in the country, we would be more prepared because there are so many people who own weapons. A study that had taken place in 2006 showed that 43 percent of people thought that guns in a home made it more dangerous and 47 percent of people thought that guns in a home made it safer(web: “Gun Control Laws.” Issues and Controversies. Infobase Learning).

Politicians need to take a closer look at what they are taking away from the citizens. It’s not just about the guns but the fact that they are not following the guidelines that were set when this country was first made. People are very passionate about their guns and to take them away from people would take away part of their life.

Ben B