Gabbi F. Michigan

The government should enforce laws on gun control to protect the citizens of our country.

I would like to bring forth the issue of gun control and how it affects our country directly. Gun control is a major multi-sided issue that takes place in our country today. It concerns many citizens of America, some even first handedly. Every single individual longs for the instinct feeling of safety, you cannot argue that. No one should feel unsettled in their own home due to the fear of guns. I’m sure whichever view is supported, every side comes down to safety.

Now, don’t get me wrong. Just because safety is a neutral factor, it does not mean that everyone wants safety for the same reason. It can be interpreted in different ways. For instance, many people of our nation consider the statement that stricter gun laws lead to protection. The people that support this view are begging for more complex background checks and firearm identification, including me. I believe that our country should obtain a system involving a proper mandatory safety test, and a legitimate reason why you would want to own a gun. This essentially means that we need to keep guns out of the hands who have a history of violent crime, domestic violence, substance abuse and severe mental illness. I feel that it is better to go down that route before it’s too late. If we don’t fix this problem fast, then more people will be in danger, maybe even killed because of guns. If gun contribution is reduced, there will be less gun-related crimes committed. It seems quite simple when I put it that way-- but it’s far from that. Did you know that we have far more gun ownership than any other developed country? Our country has gotten to the point where guns are being used for the wrong reasons, leading to suicides, homicides, accidental shootings, etc. Between 2000 and 2014 there were 133 mass shootings in public populated places. If the government enforced stricter gun-related laws, it could possibly lead to a beneficial outcome.

On the other hand, a large population opposes gun control. Many argue the fact being more people armed equals a safer society, due to protection and self-defense reasons. Do weapons actually make society safer? In some cases, I’m sure. But you cannot distribute guns to just anyone. But if we allowed easier access on gun control, who knows where it will lead to. More gun-related crimes? More suicides, accidental shootings, and more. It is sickening that every time I turn on the news there is a new story on a gun-related crime that has been committed. Back in June, when the Orlando club shooting was committed, 49 people died. 49 innocent people that did absolutely nothing. I can’t even imagine losing my child, or my parents, or a sibling, and I hope I never have to imagine that. It happens every single day. 

What is our society doing to end these tragedies? I am not saying that if we apply stricter gun laws all crimes will be diminished, but I am positive that they will rapidly reduce, resulting in more safety for our country. Thank you for your time.

Gabbi F.

Royal Oak High School

Royal Oak Ravens

High school juniors and seniors from Royal Oak, Michigan.