Tatiyanna W. New York

Gun Violence

Every day, 306 people in America are shot, Every day, 90 people die from gun violence, 31 are murdered. If we go back to 2015, there were 12,086 killed just from the gun violence and if we look now in 2016, there were 12,942 so far. People are putting their lives in danger by carrying guns.

Dear future President,

You have probably heard about all the gun violence we’ve been having around the world, and I feel that we should do something to change all of this. Many people in America are probably feeling the same way as me because nobody wants to lose a loved one. Some people already have, due to the gun violence. If we go back to 2015, there were 12,086 killed just from the gun violence and if we look now in 2016 there were 12,942 so far. As you can see, more killings happened over the year.

I feel if you really want to help our community change into something different without guns, you would want to put a stop to it. In my opinion we have lost a lot of people and it's the teenage boys, who are under age and don't even know how to use them - and they shouldn't know how either. We have people getting into fights and then guns start coming out. What about when a white man in North Carolina went into a bar and shot 312 people, killing 112. Nobody really thought about a way to change this from happening, so now I want to put a stop to this and speak my mind. Did you ever think what life would be like without guns, because I have. We wouldn't have to worry about someone getting killed. Do you know that 90 people die a day just from gun violence? We can try to close gun stores and remove most guns from our streets. I understand we can't stop all the gangs from getting guns, but it wouldn’t hurt to try.

By getting rid of guns, I’m not saying that people couldn't use them for hunting or things like that, but we shouldn't let the guns be able to leave the gun range because as you see, this guy used his guns to go shoot up a bar in Georgia. I understand that some people use them for protection but other people just use them for violence. We should stop all the websites that sell guns on them because anyone at any age can buy a gun and get bullets from anywhere. People are putting their lives in danger by carrying guns. If we can eliminate this, we would have a better world.

Did you know that 12,000 guns were stolen from gun stores in just two years? This is one main reason why we shouldn't have gun stores local, where anyone could just walk into a gun store and rob the place. I believe that if we’re going to have local gun stores then they should have more security in the stores so that people wouldn’t have easy access to these hurtful items. Every day, 306 people in America are shot. Every day, 90 people die from gun violence. 31 are murdered. I know that I wouldn’t want to get that phone call that says, “One of your family members just got shot.” Gun owners need to think about how it would feel if they received the news that they just lost someone they really cared about. Taking someone’s life away because you are upset about something isn’t the way to go. As the next president, you need to make a change in our country.

Tatiyanna

Pleat, Zachary. “Beck's "War": Fox Host Responds to Passage of Health Care Reform with Violent Rhetoric”,http://mediamatters.org/research/2010/03/23/becks-war-fox-host-responds-to-passage-of-healt/162156

Segan, Rose. “Putting an End to Gun Violence”, https://letters2president.org/letters/3372

Woodruff, Judy. “Why the U.S. has done almost nothing to stop mass shootings”,

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/u-s-done-almost-nothing-stop-mass-shootings/

Troy High School

Mr. Mo's Amazing English Students

Each of my students has a voice that needs to be heard. These are the minds and hearts that will help shape our country's future. All student writing, audio, video and artwork is 100% original and supported with in-depth research. Enjoy their incredible work.