Rachel L. New Mexico

Homework or Sleep?

Students should get sleep rather than complete homework.

Congratulations on getting into office. M name is Rachel. This year in my 10th grade English class we are writing a topic about something that is dear to us. For me, I chose why the public high school system of education is broken. I care about this topic, because we are expected to reach expectations that we can't meet. For example, every teacher gives us thirty minutes to two hours of homework, but what they don't realize is we have seven classes everyday.  Also according to  http://www.publicagenda.org/press-releases/survey-sports-arts-clubs-volunteering-out-school-activities-play-crucial-positive-role-kids,  79% of high school students are involved in extra crucial activities, so if you add the time of those activities to how much homework we get you are looking at about three to five hours of homework each night.

Teens, wake up late, eat, sleep, hang with friends,do extra-curricular activities, stay up late, and repeat. We don't have time to do homework, after all of the activities and requirements. The education system is broken. The board for public schools is ran by politicians, not by creative out going people. Students get so stressed and depressed over school, when they talk with their counselors, the child just gets more lost.  Learning isn't fun anymore.  For me it stopped being fun in 7th grade.  7th grade, that's just awful. To improve learning I think we should start with delaying school time. That will make such an improvement, because teenagers brains are wired to sleep in and stay up late.

In conclusion, thank you for your service. I can't wait to see what you do in office and I am very proud to call America my home, and I hope you help me be even prouder. Thank you for your dedication and time to this well loved country.

Sincerely Rachel L.