Jasmine New Hampshire

Why We Need More Vegetarians

By promoting the vegetarian life you'll be setting the world up for success.

I have been thinking of animals a lot lately, how they get abused and mistreated, many go on the endangered species list. Doing research on how I can help made me find that becoming a vegetarian can benefit the animals and you as well. By promoting the vegetarian life you'll be setting the world up for success.

Seventy percent of all diseases, including one-third of cancer can be caught by eating meat (“Vegetarian Times” 1). A vegetarian reduces his or her chances of being obese, coronary artery disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, and colon, breast, prostate, stomach, lung and esophageal cancer.

Being a vegetarian can help keep your weight down. Sixty-four percent adults and 15 percent children are overweight. Those on vegetarian diets lost an average of 24 pounds in the first year and kept the weight off 5 years later (“Vegetarian Times” 2). They lost weight without counting calories or carbs.

Being a vegetarian help you live longer. It has been prove that vegetarians can add 13 years to your life (“Vegetarian Times” 2). By people consuming saturated fat they will have a shorter life and more disability at the final years of their life. Vegetarians often build stronger bones. The foods vegetarians eat and consume are supplied with Phosphorous, Magnesium and Vitamin D that are then absorbed into the body which helps use calcium(“Vegetarian Times” 2).

Will help you reduce your risk of foodborne illnesses. Reports say 76 million illnesses are foodborne, 325,000 hospitalized and 5,000 deaths in the United States(“Vegetarian Times” 2). Being a Vegetarian helps you avoid toxic chemicals 95 percent of pesticides residue in the typical American diet comes from meat, fish and dairy products. Meat and dairy products can also be laced with steroids or hormones. It will help reduce pollution which we have a huge problem with. More than 173,000 miles of pollution rivers and streams.

Pollution is one of our biggest problems today. One of the biggest things with becoming a vegetarian is you are sparring so many lives. Ten billion animals are being slaughtered and consumed a year(“Vegetarians Times” 3). Animals are factory farmed which means crammed cages where they are tainted with pesticides and antibiotics.

You can also save money! Ten percent of americans food spending are spent on meat. Eating other foods then meat like fruit and vegetables can save you $4,000 a year(“Vegetarian Times” 3).

Becoming a vegetarian is quite easy. We need to fix our world problems like obesity, illness, pollution, animal, animal abuse and lower lower class. Becoming a vegetarian is one step closer. These days we have amazing meatless foods. Becoming a vegetarian is gonna benefit you and the earth in so many ways like your health, life, pollution animals and saving money. It’s time to make a difference we need more vegetarians in the world to help our planet. With everyone eating meat and more meat being produced in our world will just worsen.

Jasmine

Exeter High School

Exeter High School Freshman English

Ms. Catcher's CP Freshman English classes take a stand on what subjects are most important to them this election. These classes include periods 1, 2, and 3.