Whitney K. Utah

I hear gun sales are shooting up

People today are blaming guns for the cause of their child’s death in shootings around the world; however, that is not the case. It is the people with the intentions not the guns. Guns are not the ones that walk into schools with the mindset to kill; it is the hand that is connected to the person that pulls the trigger. An article in the Washington Post says this, “If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, and cars are the reason for wrecks and spoons are the cause of obesity."

Dear Mr./Madam President,

I Hear Gun Sales are Shooting Up. In the 1700’s people needed guns to protect themselves, their homes, and the country; I still believe that this argument is relevant today. Many people today are in such an opposition about guns. I believe that it is okay for Americans to have and keep guns. We need guns for safety and protection not only for ourselves, but our families and country too. Not only does this just revolve around protection though. People around the U.S are talking about guns and whether or not we need them, some are saying it is good to have them it helps with worldly problems with other countries, whereas some are saying that it is dangerous. We should not be blaming guns for the deaths of our loved ones, we need to be blaming the person pulling the trigger. Lastly; we cannot forget about all the fun things we can do with guns as well. Guns are not as dangerous as some people are making them out to be. There are so many things in the world today we need guns for.

I know a short story that happened to my aunt and uncle in February of 09’ they had 4 children, they had left their front door unlocked that night simply because they had just forgotten to lock it. Meanwhile the family was sleeping a robber had been going around to all the houses turning the knobs of the front door, hoping at least one door would be unlocked. When the door to this family's house was unlocked; he walked in. He first found one of the little girls room and planned to take her with him after he was done robbing them and potentially killing the parents, he then found the parents room and held the dad at knife point, the robber said to give him his wallet and all the money he had, including a safe if they had one, the father said he needed to grab his wallet out of his closet and he would give it to him. While in his closet getting what he said to be his wallet he grabbed a gun that was in his safe, he slowly raised the gun to the man and said I am calling the cops do not move. The robber scared to death of the gun did not move until the cops arrived. The gun he had was what saved and protected his family. 48% of gun owners own guns for protection and safety purposes. We use guns in the world today as means of protection and safety. Guns are what help our country and people survive; they’re one of the main resources that we use to gain power over other countries. “In 1999 49% of gun owners said they used a gun for hunting, while just 26% cited protection as the biggest factor.” Guns were made in 1364 for the purpose of protection and are still mainly used for that today as well.

People today are blaming guns for the cause of their child’s death in shootings around the world; however, that is not the case. It is the people with the intentions not the guns. Guns are not the ones that walk into schools with the mindset to kill; it is the hand that is connected to the person that pulls the trigger. An article in the Washington Post says this, “If guns kill people, than pencils misspell words, and cars are the reason for wrecks and spoons are the cause of obesity.” I am not saying that guns do not have a role in the shootings, but we cannot blame the guns. I know it can be hard to lose a family member, I have lost loved ones too, especially when it is so traumatic like a shooting; we cannot blame guns though. There are some psychotic people out there that do not realize what they are doing is wrong when they choose to point the gun at adults or kids.

If you want to blame guns for your loved one's death, then there is no reason to put the actual killer in jail. Instead of banning guns think of others ways to address situations like this, like finding the person that used the gun. The constitution says, “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” this is so set in stone that we cannot change it. The government can choose to create a new amendment, and this would be immensely difficult to do .You can start to do background checks for people buying guns, but that is too much money and time consuming to do. We just need to trust that it is the people with the guns not the guns itself. A gun could not go off by itself without at least someone or something messing with it. We do not need more gun laws or less gun laws; we need nice people. We need to start looking at the reasons why people with guns are killing people, not the guns itself. About only 1 in every 3 Americans own a gun. That is 33% of Americans! Not even half. It’s not worth sending a piece of metal to jail when you could send the real murderer to jail, the person, the killer.

Many people today love to go hunting and shooting. I personally love to go hunting and shooting; it is one of my favorite pastime hobbies to do. My favorite thing to hunt is deer, and when I go with my grandpa, dad, and siblings, it gives us all time to bond because we are stuck together for hours at a time. bbIt can be scary at times because of all the things out in the woods but good thing I have my gun there to also keep me safe. Guns can be used for so many fun things in the world today. Guns are not used for all bad things, or protection against harm either. There is so many people around the world who own guns just for activity purposes. Around sixty-three percent of Americans who own guns say they went to the gun store and intended to buy it mainly for shooting and hunting or other activities revolving around gun usage.

Although not being allowed to have guns could help situations, such as less shootings, murders, robberies, suicides, etc. I know that there can be so many positive outlooks on not having guns, but not having guns puts more problems out there for us than if we are to kept guns. I understand that more gun control laws can reduce gun deaths, however this is a hasty generalization not everyone will be safe if we increase the gun control laws it could help but it is not a permanent fix.

Having a life without guns would have been totally worth it if we had never created them in the first place, but look at all the useful things we have done with them such as war, food, practice for war, etc. We should not have to live in a world like this though, where people have to give up their protection, rights, activities because there are people out there that are taking advantage of our guns and stripping us of our constitutional rights. Guns are not what is killing people. We need to see what is going to help us out as a whole in the long run. Owning and keeping guns are what is going to keep us and our country strong.

Spanish Fork High School

AP Language 16-17

AP Language Letters to the Next President