Alex B. Utah

Global Warming

With temperatures on the rise, our future president must do what it takes to secure the safety of our world, and everything living within it.

Dear Mr. or Mrs. President,

With this election season coming up, there are many issues that come to mind. National security, racial equality, and economic reform are always, or should always be among your top priorities, but the issue of climate change or global warming can be overlooked often. I ask you, future President, to at least bring more attention to this but to ultimately try to improve the situation.

A couple things spring to mind when you think of global warming. The ice caps are melting, many animals are losing their natural habitat and many are becoming endangered species, glaciers are melting, and even coral reefs are dying off. Records show that the past sixteen months have been the warmest ever, and this past September broke the streak by having only the second highest temperature. Montana’s Glacier National Park in 1910 had 150 glaciers, but since then, 123 have melted leaving only 27. One third of the Great Barrier reef is dead due to coral bleaching. Average temperatures have climbed 1.4 degrees F.

With all of these statistics, it seems impossible to just brush this phenomena as a “myth”. So I ask you, Mr. or Mrs. President, to please do what you can for not only our nation, but for the world. Lastly, I want to take the time to thank you. Thank you for dutifully running to become the person that our nation looks up to the most, and I wish you the best in your journey. Please do all that you can to better this nation, but more importantly, do whatever you can to better our world.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/12/1206_041206_global_warming.html

Judge Memorial

Judge Memorial-Jeffreys

Students enrolled in AP English Language and Composition at Judge Memorial Catholic High School in Salt Lake City, Utah.