Abbi M. Utah

A Few Comments About Affordable Health Care From a Chronically Ill Person

Don't whisper carelessly about affordable health care.

The election is upon us, and you have managed to wrangle the majority of the voters in the United States of America, meaning, the majority of the voters in the U.S. agree with your stances on many issues,such as equality, immigration, health care, welfare, environmental protection, abortion, and government spending, to name a few examples.

My name is Abbi Mancini, and I am sick.

The question of affordable health care is very prominent in many countries, especially our own and was a very popular topic in this past election. Many countries offer affordable health care services, and have found it to be exquisitely beneficial to the general populous. As a person with several chronic illnesses, affordable care and insurance is very close to my heart, and I want it to be in the best hands.

According to the website of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (hss.gov), The Affordable Care Act, dubbed “Obamacare” is working wonderfully well. True, it could be better, but that’s where you come in. The Affordable Care Act as done mountains more of good than bad. It has made it impossible for private insurance companies to drop patients when they are diagnosed with a long term illness, have to experience long term procedures, such as chemotherapy, made insurance more affordable to many people, including minorities, the elderly, and women, and the plan that the patient and the quality of care they need, no matter the cost or quantity, are always put first.

My family is very lucky to be supplied with health insurance through my father’s work, but few are in the same position, making affordable health care pivotal to many families in many social situations. According to whitehouse.gov, the Affordable Care Act has dropped uninsured rates by 40% from 2010 to 2015. Nine out of ten Americans have insurance allowing for the safety and better quality of life for millions of people.

All I ask is that you continue this trend of healthcare and insurance for all, with the patient and their own needs in mind. With your aid, The Unites States of America can become a healthier, happier country.

Thank you,

A concerned citizen

Judge Memorial

Judge Memorial-Jeffreys

Students enrolled in AP English Language and Composition at Judge Memorial Catholic High School in Salt Lake City, Utah.