Kaleb M. Michigan

Distracted Driving

There are so many accidents, including distracted driving, because people don't pay attention to the road.

I am sure that there is so much on your mind, becoming the new president, and you have so many ideas. I would like to tell you about a problem that is big in the US. It is being on our phones while driving. Texting and driving is very dangerous because people die while texting and driving, or kill someone by not paying attention to the road. According to the article "Distracted Driving," in 2013, there were 3,154 people killed and an estimated additional 424,000 injured in motor vehicle crashes involving distracted drivers. This evidence shows that distracted driving puts the driver's and others' lives in danger.  This was in 2013, and it is only getting worse.

There have been many incidents that have been tragic because people have been texting and driving and not paying attention to the road. According to the article "Cell Phones and Driving," in 2008 there was a horrible train collision due to the train driver texting while driving. Because the driver was texting, he wasn’t paying attention. If more people keep texting and driving, a lot more crashes will happen and more people are going to die. I think that you should have a law in every state that does not let anyone have phones in cars because people are too distracted, and if everyone is not distracted while driving, the roads will be more safe.

Kaleb