Talia Michigan

Animal Cruelty

Animal cruelty is very prominent around the country. I believe that dog fighting and horse slaughter are some of the top problems when it comes to animal cruelty. In my letter I discuss what the next president needs to do about these problems.

Dear Next President of the United States,

The Declaration of Independence states “We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal.” Basically all people should be treated the same way and fairly. The people of this country have many rights, but what about animal rights? Animal cruelty is a problem in this country and needs to be solved. I want you, Mr./Mrs. President, to do something about this.

Animals around the country are abused or neglected daily. Dog fighting is one reason why animal cruelty is so prominent. Dog fighting is a type of blood sport in which dogs are forced to fight one another for the entertainment and/or profit of an audience. Dogs that are forced to do this cruel sport are always tied up on a short chain, and are drugged with steroids to increase their muscles and encourage aggression in the dogs. Although it is a felony to do this practice in all fifty states, an estimated 40,000 people are involved in dog fighting. Dog fighting is an awful practice, but I believe horse slaughter is worse. Horses are taken in empty trucks with no food or water for sometimes more than 24 hours. While euthanasia is a quick and painless way of death, horses are tortured and sometimes still awake when they are being slaughtered. 130,000 horses are slaughtered each year for humans to consume in the U.S or abroad.

Now, I have a few recommendations on how to fix the problems involving animal cruelty. First off, I believe you should enforce the laws regarding dog fighting. Any type of gambling of dogs should be put to rest, and the people should be charged a lot of money and be sent to prison. Although horse slaughtering is not as common here in the U.S, all horses are still at risk of being slaughtered. In fact in 2015, Congress passed a law prohibiting the slaughter of horses for human consumption in the United States and ban their export abroad, but I believe that the next president should make sure this law is passed and enforced.

American’s lives depend on you, but what about animal lives? Are you, Mr./Mrs. President, going to do something to stop animal cruelty? I hope you will make the right choice and help these poor animals.

Talia S. 

Hanover-Horton High School

Creative Writing Class

This is my creative writing class, they have concerns with our county and world today. Agree or Disagree, it is their VOICE to express.