Travis G Michigan

How to Help the World

My letter is an explanation of how to decrease the amount of violent crime and improve society.

Dear President, our country has an issue, teaching empathy to young children. In elementary school we’re taught the beginnings of how to function within our society, we’re taught basic math skills, how to recite the alphabet, and how to read and write. The kids that don’t figure this out in time are usually caught while slipping through academic cracks and given special help from tutors, however there’s often no one to catch the children that fail to learn how to care for others.  empathy is the most complexed emotion, It's not like anger or happiness that can be seen in infants and some animals, those are primal. Empathy is uniquely human and must be developed by experience. 

This should be a nation wide concern, because people who don’t care for others grow up to be the scum of our world, for example Brock Turner.  A well educated, and privileged person who should be of benefit society, ends up being one of the world's most vile hindrance, a rapist, not because of a rough past, or mental illness, or intoxication, and certainly to no fault of the victim. It happened because he lacks care for the well being of others.  He doesn't put himself in the position of others,He never comes to the point of  thinking what if this happened to me. Most of us have come past the point of having to actually think about these things, it's nearly instant because we've been taught empathy since we were young; if you actually needed to think about that I suggest you reevaluate your life. 

People like Brock Turner do not deserve second chances, they’ve failed society in the worst of ways, however many children can still be turned around. If we show more care for each other in front of children and toward children they will follow our lead, proven by infamous psychologist Albert Bandura's experiments on the transmission of emotion in children, kids will nearly always do as they see their role models do.  We as a society, that would like to see the world become a more perfect place, should strive to raise more caring children.

Sincerely, Travis G

Carman-Ainsworth High School

Carman-Ainsworth High School

This group consist of students in the course of English 12 for Ms. Mathews. We will be posting on issues of social injustice and making a change for the better.